A lawn is not different from all other living things when it comes to prone to disease. The lawn does not catch the virus but it is affected by fungus. There are several lawn diseases such as dollar spot, brown patch, fairy ring, Necrotic ring spot, and Fusarium blight. All these diseases have their own characteristics and effects. They may cause the mushrooms to grow all over the area of your lawn or they may make the color of grass turn yellow or brown depending on the type of disease. There are two reasons for the lawn disease. Either the lawn is weak or it gets contact with the fungus. Using the same mower that has already been in contact with the diseased lawn grass can have a bad effect on the healthy lawn grass. In order to avoid the weak lawn or the diseased lawn, you’ve to take care of your lawn properly.
Control of lawn diseases:
Practicing a good lawn care makes it really easy to keep diseases and problems of lawn under control and preventing it from such issues at the first place. Here are some tips that may help you in preventing the lawn diseases and taking good care of your lawn.
- Scalping the lawn weakens the grass so never do it. Just keep the length of lawn good all year round. Keep the lawn at a good length all year round.
- Feed the lawn well in spring and summer so that it holds the nutrients all year round. But don’t overdose your lawn with nitrogen fertilizer in late summer or autumn.
- Compacted areas and poor drainage system reduce the health of your grass and encourage diseases more. Therefore, fork the lawn to improve the drainage. You can also use a better still, hollow tine or a solid tine aerator in autumn for improving drainage.
- Scarify in spring and autumn to remove the dead material like thatch and moss to encourage aeration and prevent lawn diseases.
- Dry lawns weaken the grass in summer so they can be prone to diseases, therefore water thoroughly wherever possible during dry periods in summer.
- The remains of fungus can re-infect the lawn. Disposing of grass cuttings will help to reduce the amount of fungus in your lawn.
Common lawn diseases:
Here are the commonest lawn diseases:
It is one of the most common fungal diseases on lawn.it occurs mostly on the lawns that are deficient in nitrogen. During the autumn and wet summer, it causes brown patches in the lawn.
Fusarium blight is another common cause of yellow turning brown patches on the lawn’s grass. Its attack can occur at any time during the year but it is most prevalent in the winter or the autumn season.
In the late summer, different fungi produce the rings of toadstools and dead grass in the lawn. This is actually the fairy ring disease. The symptoms of this disease depend on the type of fungus.
Author Bio : Sarah works for Yourgreenpal and she loves to talk about Lawns and gardens.